The original builders and owners of the Inn were James A. Stalker and his wife circa. 1865. They had a general store on the ground floor, and ran the bank from there until undertaking the building of the Scotia Bank next door. The family (and servants) lived on the upper levels, and there was even a kiln in the cellar for producing Stalker crockery.
Since those days, the building has had a variety of re-inventions -- the town library, insurance office, MLA office, apartments, general store, and now it is the graceful and elegant Scotsman Inn.